Opinion: Could the Kings-To-Seattle Talk Lead to a New Arena in Sacramento ?

By Marcus Pearl

Sacramento, CA (MPN) - For the past day or two, we have been hearing about a potential sale of the Sacramento Kings to a Seattle investor group led by Chris Hansen who would then bring the franchise to Seattle. The Reports suggest that they are extremely close and that the Kings will be in Seattle in time for next season. Although it seems like they're one yard away, I remain skeptical. Although I am kind of excited for this and I want pro basketball to return to Seattle, My Gut tells me that they will end up remaining in Sacramento and why, it's simple, leverage. The Maloof's probably figure that they could use this as leverage for either other people in Sacramento to try to offer a higher bid than the one put together by the investors  or for the City to put together an Arena offer that can seduce them to agree to remain there. It has happened before (Vikings, Yankees) and I have a feeling that it will certainly happen again. Only time will tell whether or not this whole thing is one big giant bidding war or just an excuse for the city of Sacramento to spend millions (maybe billions) on a new facility.

PUBLISHED ON THURSDAY JANUARY 10, 2013 AT 5:18 PM EST (LAST UPDATED ON 1/10/13 AT 5:19 PM EST

Comments